Let's fix fablabs.io

Sorry for the delay. A long message, needs more time to respond. :grinning:

Email: Now the users apparently have the freedom to enter more addresses in whatever format. That gives problems when postprocessing the list. Therefore, better to accept two separate email addresses, one required; any should have one and only one at-sign, and no spaces, commas or semicolumns.

Slug: great. I can use it as unique key when linking to other data.

Funding: fablabs.io and especially the list of fablabs is a key resource for the fab lab network. AFAIK it was initiated by Fablab Barcelona and adopted by the fab foundation. IMHO Both should find solutions for technical maintenance (keep it simple) and content management (check once a year). I guess the costs for technical maintenance and hosting could be max USD 1000 /year and for content management even less, say USD 500/year. It will be very difficult to find structural funding for a maintenance task. Better would be if Barcelona or fab foundation could level the costs over various other projects. And starting something new only to cover USD 1000 + USD 500 /year โ€ฆ I would not recommend that.

Anyway, this regards especially the list of fablabs. We also have gitlab (partially overlapping with wikifactory) and Discourse (partially overlapping with Fabxlive Mighty Networks). Maybe good to discuss the whole with FL Barcelona and Fab Foundation to come to a single solution.

1 Like

Recently have become active, would love to participate in the work.

Would be present in next meetings.

1 Like

the country italy appears twice, so that through the search filter as active laboratories, my fablab does not appear. Setting the region for my fablab, the โ€œItalyโ€ field is present only once.

Developed a Creative space Google map with maker labs, artist residencies, dance, Film etc https://bit.ly/3dJ2uOm

To update/add spaces we have a form http://goo.gl/forms/s0NDjkWZB7

Iโ€™m updating maker space info after the COVID lockdown. I have spent thousands of hours on this free open resource

1 Like

How can I be part of the next zoom meeting? I came here from fablabs.io

Nice post, thank you