Epilog Mini 24 Motherboard IC U31 burning out

Hello all.

In Shenzhen I talked to someone who was struggling the same problem we struggled a long time in Fab Lab Polytech.
As I understood the problem is rather widespread. It is about the burning out of IC (EFEB 8918 3430 U31) on Epilog’s motherboard because of power instability (we use voltage regulator though).

Epilog just doesn’t boot, however coolers are working.

The issue is that the service costs 2400$ and it is absolutely impossible for us. So after some tweaking of our broken Epilog and it’s motherboard we managed to fully fix it with a less than $100 budget. If some one has the same issue as we had- just reply me here and we will prepare and send fixing manual for you with the links to needed components.

Of course you will do this at your own risk…

Picture of motherboard and burnt U31

2 Likes

Amazing Work! :ok_hand: 100$ fix instead of 2400$ :smile:
hope my trotec doen’t suprise me with such a nasty problem :sob:

It’s all about soldering skills and right components. I think at least $2000 from $2400 is for “official” service.
Preparing instructions.

Could you please send me these instructions. In australia they want nearly $3000 for repair
Many thanks for working a solution out. Cheers

Hi Brett,

Just PM’d you

Dmitriy

Hi,

I got the same burnt problem as yr picture. Do u have any idea to fix this problem? Please kindly help and advise. Thanks.

Best Regard

Arthur

Hi Dimitri,

same problem here… could you please send me the fixing-manual too?

best regards,
heiko

Same problem, could you please share?

Hi, Can you please share this solution with me too? My LCD is showing 8 solid bars but the motherboard has all voltage LEDs ON so I’m not sure if this solution will work for me but I’m looking for all options.

Regards,
DJ.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Should we install a radiator on the functional ones as a preventive measure?

Interesting and useful discussion. Thanks for sharing, I appreciate that! :+1: :handshake:

Hello Dimitry. I’m having the same issue with my epilog mini. The u31 chip burned out. Can you please send me instructions for fixing this? Hope you have a GREAT New Year! THANKS

Hi Dmitry,

Just had the very same thing happen to me. :cold_sweat: U31 chip burned. Components are hard to find, but its even harder to find the 1500$ that Epilog wants for a new board (even though ive heard of others getting theirs replaced due to an error in the board).

Could you pm me with the manual? :slight_smile:

Thanx in advance.

Hi Dimitri,

Koen from the Netherlands. I have the same problem on a different model epilog laser (Legend Helix older model). I replaced de chip before but this time the the 2 pads for the incoming voltage burned out.

Long story short, could you send me your schematics? Your my only hope of fixing my Epilog.

Kind regards!