FabLab equipment

Hi Fabber,

I’m going to register our innovation centre to a fablab, but I’m a little bit confuse about the fab tools. Can anyone suggest that for Circuit Production, Precision Milling, and Vinyl Cuuting, what tools do we actually need, and do we need to satisfy all those 6 capabilities on the list?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

There are various lists around.

The oldest one (apparently) was maintained by http://cba.mit.edu, describes itself now as “obsolete”, but is still interesting, fab lab inventory - Google Drive.

The newest one is referred to by the Fab Academy especially for fablabs wanting to become a Fab Academy Node, inventory.fabcloud.io

Does this help?

Best,
Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Your message is very helpful, but when I try to add my innovation center into list, there are couple of options need to click on, like 3D Printing, CNC Milling, Circuit Production, etc. Thus, if we would like to be a FABLAB, do we need to be capable of all those options? Or, just 3 of them will be enough?

Many Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I have no idea whether some algorithm plays for judge. AFAIK inventory rules are only very strict when your fablab wants to become a fab academy hub, see fabacademy.org for all requirements.

For now, I would suggest to tickmark the machines you have in place and to go on with your registration.

Nice to have you on board (soon). And please note that the early bird discount for our super conference in Bhutan ends in two days!

Best
Pieter

Hi Pieter,

I’m appreciate for your help. I think we will do as what you suggest so that we can put our innovation center on list. By the way, we will very welcome if you would like to come to our center and have a look on it.

And for the conference in Bhutan, can we join even when we are not the FABLAB member still?

Best,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the invitation. BTW what will be the name and address of the newborn fablab?

Of course, you can join FAB23 Bhutan. But please, hurry, early bird prices end 7 May. See https://fab23.fabevent.org.

All the best,
Pieter

Hi Pieter,

The name for the newborn is ISA Innovation Centre, which is located in Guangzhou, China. You are very welcome to be here.

Regards,
Chris

Hello Christie, this is a discussion we are constantly having with the judges… right now it depends but we want to accept labs not by the inventory but by the community and capabilities they have…

Hi Kenzo, even thought the centre is not yet fully opened, we have organized some events for the kids, such as paper circuit innovation. And we will have more event like it in the this summer.