Global Children's Designathon

Designathon Works is looking for Fab Labs that would be interested in hosting the Global Children’s Designathon in 2019. The event is held in November. Next year will be the 5th year of the event.

On November 3rd, 30 cities around the world participated in the event. Children discussed and ideated around the Life On Land issues, a U.N. Sustainable Development Goal. SDG 15 addresses issues such as how to grow food, the needs of wildlife, deforestation, desertification, and biodiversity.

Children imagined and designed sustainable solutions around these issues, built prototypes, and presented them to each other and the facilitators.

A Designathon is a structured workshop in which children (ages 7 - 12 years) invent, build and present their self-devised solutions to a social or environmental issue around the Sustainable Development Goals. A workshop lasts four to six hours and is facilitated by education and engineering. professionals.

The experience helps children become future ready through learning to design and use technology. The Designathon method combines aspects of Design Thinking and Maker Education, both approaches that are gaining ground in education systems around the world.

Fab Labs are a great venue to host the event. My Lab, Clearwater’s Fabrication Lab at Saint Paul’s School, has hosted the event for the U.S. for two years. It is a wonderful event for the community. To see some photos and video of the event, please visit the Designathon Works Florida Facebook page.

If your lab is interested in hosting the Global Children’s Designathon next year, please respond to me.

Cheers,
Paul Haberstroh

2 Likes

Hello!!

We at the Aegean idea Lab would love to participate on Paros, Greece…

I’d love to learn more!
Kathy

Dear Mr. Haberstroh
Designathon Works sounds really interesting and we would like to host the Global Children’s Designathon in 2019. Please send us more info on how we can participate at fablabioannina@gmail.com
Kind Regards
Iason Pantazis
Fab Lab Ioannina

Hello Kathy!

Thank you for the reply and interest! Here is a link to the Designathon website with more information. I will keep you updated as we plan more for the 2019 event.

Cheers!
Paul

Hello Iason!

Thank you for the reply and interest! Here is a link to the Designathon website with more information. I will keep you updated as we plan more for the 2019 event.

Cheers,
Paul

Hello Mr. Haberstroh,

Peza fab lab from Chennai,India.
willing to host the global children’s Designathon 2019.
please contact further through : fablab@pezadesignstudio.com

love to learn more !
mohan

Hello Peza!

Cheers,
Paul

Hello Paul,
I am fab manager from Fab Lab Newton, Brazil.
We would like to join the Designathon Community next year, please send more informations to carla.werkhaizer@newtonpaiva.br

Cheers

Cheers!
Paul

Hello,
first of all we want to congratulate you on the initiative.
M2M FabLab based in Villa San Giovanni, Italy, would be interested in participating / hosting the Global Children’s Designathon 2019, I ask you to keep us in mind for what concerns the organization and for all the steps necessary for the success of the event.

Thanks in advance,
Giuseppe Minniti

Hello Giuseppe!

Thank you for the kind words and your interest in being a host. We will contact you in January with details about the event for next year!

Cheers,
Paul