How do you approach community building at your FabLab?

Hi folks!

I was wondering, how does your FabLab approach building a community of local makers? Answer the question as narrowly or broadly as you wish.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I´ll start:

• We have a community Discord server where users can discuss various maker topics around the machines
  • For some topics (e.g. SmartHome), we host community meetups
  • Every year when our FabLab celebrates it´s birthday we host a celebration
  • and so on…

I think it may help to discuss internally your vision (why you have that fablab and how it should have value for the outside world) and a mission (what you want to accomplish in the coming 1, 2 and 5 years).

Based in this groundwork, try to fill in a so-called Business Model Canvas. Start with your intended “Customer Segments” and so on from right to left. It helps you focus on different “client” groups and their perceived needs, etc. If you like this approach, there exists an accompanying book “Business Model Generation” by Osterwalder et al (English plus various translations), a free Preview, supporting website (strategyzer.com), etc.

If you prefer more focus on online community building, see Jono Bacon: The art of community (on building an Ubuntu users community), free to download via Art_of_Community_Second_Edition.pdf - Google Drive

Best,
Pieter

We’re actively forging partnerships with impactful NGOs, currently collaborating with three organizations. In our first partnership, we’re supporting an NGO in strengthening its youth branch, becoming an integral part of their efforts. Secondly, we’ve partnered with a local cooperative in Ait Baamran (Ifni) to tackle the Cochineal challenge. Most recently, we’ve teamed up with an NGO dedicated to empowering rural communities. Our initial project with them focuses on renovating a school in the Houz region, an area affected by the recent earthquake.

We believe that by actively addressing challenges and empowering students to become local problem solvers, we can achieve several positive outcomes:

• Enhanced student learning: Students will gain valuable hands-on experience through active participation in problem-solving initiatives.
  • Increased reliance on youth: Rural communities will increasingly recognize and utilize the problem-solving potential of young people.
  • Boosted innovation: Collaborative efforts will spark innovative solutions that can benefit not only local communities but also others facing similar challenges.

BTW any idea, insight suggestion or link with other people who might help is welcomed

Please check our website Klinik Sentosa to know more about deases and tips

Sorry, I do not understand why you are on this forum. It is meant for the global fablab network. Please, focus on channels more appropriate for you.

1 Like