Non FabLabs Brazil

Here in Brazil we have some spaces that they call themselves FabLabs but are not. I will discuss with the Brazilian Network and try to get a updated list.

3 Likes

It sounds great!
Will you all discuss in this thread? This would be important for keeping track of the issue.

1 Like

I totally agree with you Kenzo. I’ve been to FAB LAB SP (FAU - USP, in case you’re a local) today (2017 sep 20) and it’s not running as a Fab Lab anymore, despite the Fab Lab logo stuck to the facade, Fab Lab name on their website and to be listed on Fab Lab directory.
I asked two employees about the use of machines and they answered me the lab is exclusively for educational purposes of the School of Architecture students. Then I asked about the Open Day, and they emphasized that there are no open days.
As the first and foremost feature is to be open to the public and Fab Lab is about democratizing access to the tools for personal expression and invention, FAB LAB SP is not a Fab Lab at all.
Now I’m looking for some information about how to report that to Fab Foundation and request their exclusion from their list and network.
What a shame.

3 Likes

In my opinion, this situation is not only in Brazil, but across the globe. Not only places that were FabLabs and then changed their goals, also places that call themselves FabLabs not meeting the standards, duplicated entries for the same place or even places that disappeared long time ago.

Pointing fingers to places or people is not the most polite way to polish the FabLab list, that will involve conflicts that won’t add value to the network itself and the people involved. Let’s be realistic, anyone anywhere can call himself a FabLab and no one will be controlling if the standards are met. So, maybe the best way to address this is through network participation (this was discussed here: Curating fablab.org). Maybe we should work on those concepts to avoid the main problem.

The network nature and dynamic is self regulatory, at the end, the people and places who work and share are the ones who transcend. Being in a list on a website may give them some name or status, but in the end, FabLabs are about people.

Just my two cents here :smiley:

2 Likes

I´m from Brazil. I´m working to start a fablab inside our university and I fighting against the name “fablab” used as a simple label to get attention to an specific group of people or as a merchandising strategy for some academic institutions.
I can see the maker spaces are gathering attention but lay people are calling them as fablabs (but not the maker space team) because don´t have the understanding about the maker nomenclature.

1 Like

Hi Marcelo

I think you have completely misunderstood ! As all FabLabs inside universities Fablab SP has an appointment by e-mail for using the FabLab in the open day , that is on wednesday !
And as a great University , USP has many employees and many of them may not know exactly the functions and rules of the FabLab.
As you may not know, this FabLab is the first from Brazil , and from there many researchers and fabbers has being formed !
Also there is the CNPQ researcher group DigiFab that makes research in this area there.
There are many social projects and activities !
I personally have developed several projects there exactly in the open days and in the research group !
What seems so strange to me , is that you register here exactly in the day you make this comment , and not only here but also in other discussion group!
What are your interest in relating to fabLabs.io to ask to “exclude” them from the FabLab.io ???
I’ sorry to say but this is the real shame !!
Try to get more information before Saying something like that ! This behavior not seems to me from someone interested in the long life and progress from FabLab network !!
I hope you have the opportunity to fix this subject !
All the best
Angela Barbour